Residence permits for the self-employed

If you plan to work for a period longer than three months to start up or run your own business or become a part owner of a company, you must have a residence permit. You cannot enter Sweden until the permit has been granted. As self-employed you are not allowed to take employment with any employer.Self-employed people who plan to work for a period shorter than three months in Sweden do not need a residence permit. For work that is shorter than three months, citizens in certain countries must have an entry visa

Requirements for obtaining a residence permit as a self-employed

In order to obtain a residence permit, you must

  • have a valid passport
  • show that you have significant experience in your field and previous experience of running your own business
  • have documented and relevant knowledge in Swedish and/or English
  • show that you are running the business, that you have the ultimate responsibility for it and that you own at least half of the business
  • show that the business’ services or goods are sold and/or produced in Sweden
  • show that you have sufficient funds to support you and, if applicable, your family during the first two years (equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 100,000 for your spouse and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child)
  • show reliable source documentation for your budget
  • show that you have established customer contacts and/or a network in Sweden
  • show that your company, following a 2-year probationary period, will have its finances in balance and you have the ability to support yourself and, if applicable, your family (income support is calculated according to the Swedish national standard for income support plus housing costs).

The Swedish Migration Agency will assess your business plans from a financial perspective

Enclose the following documents with your application

  • Copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport’s validity, entry and exit stamps and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin
  • bank statements which shows that you have sufficient funds to support you and your family during the first two years (equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you, SEK 100,000 for your spouse and SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child)
  • bank statements which show, if applicable, that you have sufficient funds to buy the business and to cover the estimated costs and investments necessary to run the business
  • contract of sale if you have bought or intend to buy the business or enterprise
  • partnership agreement or stock register
  • bank document which shows that you have paid the purchase sum or your part of the purchase sum, if you have bought the business or enterprise
  • contracts with customers/suppliers and for premises
  • annual accounts/reports for the previous two years (if the business has been in operation earlier)
  • balance sheet and income statement (report) for the current financial year, up to and including the previous month
  • course certificate or other evidence that you speak Swedish and/or English
  • certificates to substantiate your educational background
  • certificates from previous employers
  • certificate of registration for companies you own or have own outside of Sweden


How to apply


Application Form

Which package you prefer*
Your job right now*
Describe Company&job&web site you prefer
Type the characters you see here:

* Indicates required fields